When I was a young girl my mom had a promise box that was a special part of our days. Most days mom would have each of us four kids pull a brightly colored card from the assortment of God’s promises and read it aloud. It was a great foundation for learning that God’s word is full of truth and we can reach out for it every day to give us strength and courage.
One idea that reminds me of the old promise box is a Blessing Box. If you are planning to attend a wedding anytime soon, you might consider one of these for the bride and groom. It will be a unique wedding gift, but more than that it will be one that encourages them for weeks and months to come! Here’s how you can make your own blessing box to give away:
1. Visit a craft store and choose an attractive box. You could also visit a Christian bookstore and buy an appropriately-sized keepsake box.
2. Choose a biblical blessing that you would like to offer the bride and groom. During church, one of the most precious moments is when the people of God receive a benediction before heading back out into the world. Blessing a marriage with words like those found in Numbers 6:24-26 is ideal “May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you, may the Lord turn His
face toward you and give you peace.”
3. Pick out an attractive font and print out the blessing in a size that allows it to be placed on the underside of the box lid. You can use Modge-Podge to glue the blessing in place.
4. Next, choose some appropriate scripture verses that will bring strength and encouragement to the couple. You can choose verses that focus on subjects pertinent to young marrieds. For example:
Being grateful for your spouse
Proverbs 18:22 He who finds a wife finds
what is good and receives favor from the Lord Proverbs 20:6-7 Many a man claims
to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find? The righteous man leads a blameless life, blessed are his children after him.
Realizing we don’t have what it takes
2 Corinthians 3:5 Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to think anything comes from ourselves, but our sufficiency is of God
2 Corinthians 12:9 My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness
5. Print the verses in an attractive font that is small enough so that each verse can be rolled up as a small scroll and placed inside the blessing box.
6. Tie each of the scrolls with lovely ribbon – light blue, silver or white and gold are nice.
Like my mom’s promise box, the blessing box will be a place the couple can visit regularly to share eternal truth together. And you will be strengthened in your own faith just by blessing a marriage with God’s Word. Other ideas for placing inside the box include biblical prayers (Daniel 9, Habakkuk 3, 2 Chronicles 20 etc.) or Holy Cards.
Holy Cards and keepsake boxes can be found at Catholic gift stores like The Printery House. Visit The Printery House online and get inspired today– blessing a marriage can be personal and meaningful and fun!