Celebrating a Young Girl’s First Communion
There are special moments in the life of a young girl which become milestones in her life. A young girl’s First Communion is definitely one of those events. The day when a young lady is accepted into the full life of the church as a participating member is memorable. As the parent or close friend of a girl receiving her first communion, there are ways you can help mark this day as the extra special occasion that it is.
The age of a girls’ First Communion will vary but usually takes place around ages seven-nine. At that age, the Church judges that a child is able to understand the gospel and appreciate the meaning of the Communion table. Typically, there will have been a season of preparation in the form of classes at Church. Education through the church is expected to be supported and reinforced by instruction at home. Parents, friends and family can set the tone of anticipation and excitement surrounding a girl’s First Communion.
Young girls should understand the significance of a First Communion gown. They are being presented to the Lord as a pure and holy bride as, in fact, the Church is. Her white dress, gloves, veil and purse are not mere adornments meant to draw attention to her. They are symbols of her wholehearted desire to meet with her Lord and be His. Parents can help keep the focus in the right place.
It is not only traditional, but wholly appropriate to celebrate this important event. A family party complete with gifts helps to set apart the day as a milestone event. You will want to take plenty of pictures so that she can always look back to the day. Gifts that make excellent presents for a girl’s First Communion party include:
1. A white Catholic Bible. Giving her her very own Bible reinforces that this day marks a new chapter in her spiritual life of belonging to Christ.
2. A First Communion wall cross. There are several styles from which to choose, but a decorative cross to hang in her room will be a steady reminder to her that she is a spiritual, not only a physical, being.
3. Jewelry is a popular First Communion gift. Necklaces and bracelets adorned with the Communion chalice, host and crucifix are a perennial favorite with young ladies.
4. A keepsake box in which to place her jewelry makes a nice companion present.
5. A rosary is another perfect gift for a girl’s First Communion. This will provide a way for parents to help train their daughter in times of personal and private devotion.
6. A memory album is a great gift idea for First Communion. Just as everyone enjoys reminiscing while looking at the photos in wedding albums, the entire family will treasure the pictures and notations surrounding the day of a young girl’s first-ever participation in Holy Communion.
If a young lady in your life is preparing for her first communion, check out The Printery House. We are a Catholic gift store with a full line of First Communion gifts and cards. Making your purchase at The Printery House also helps to support our work at Conception Abbey. Shop with us to make it easy on yourself and bless the servants of the Lord all at the same time!