Today we celebrate the feast day of St. Benedict of Nursia, the founder of western monasticism and the creator of St. Benedict’s Rule, a guide to monastic life in which the monks of Conception Abbey follow.
During his life, St. Benedict was known to have performed numerous miracles, including breaking a glass full of poison with the Sign of the Cross, saving a man from drowning by briefly becoming another person, reading the minds of his monks, bringing a child back to life, exorcising a demon and more.
Although St. Benedict lived for several years in solitude, many people found his miracles alluring and began to follow his teachings. He went on to establish 12 monasteries, each with 12 monks, and himself in general control of all. One of St. Benedict’s greatest achievements was his Rule, a guide for the government and the spiritual and material well-being of a monastery. His Rule is said to be one of the most influential religious rules in Western Christendom.
Here at The Printery House, we offer a unique selection of St. Benedict products, including rosaries, jewelry, icons, cards, books and more. Click the link below to see our full collection:
Summer is winding down and that means that many college-age students are starting to pack up for another semester away from home – some of them for the very first time. Family and friends often want to send those young academics off with a little gift to remind them of home. The trick is finding a gift that is right for a student with limited space in a dorm room.
For Christian families, it will be just as important to send young students off with a reminder of their faith as it is to give them a gift that says “home”. Fortunately, there are more Christian products than ever from which you can choose.
Creating a Survival Kit
One fun idea is to put together a college survival kit. Your kit can contain all sorts of small presents that will mean the most to your college student. A home blend of coffee and a coffee mug with a scripture verse are great for those early morning classes or late night study sessions. Your kit might include some of mom’s homemade brownies to share with new dorm-mates or favorite fun-size candies.
Daily Devotions Made Easy A small daily devotional is another great idea for kids who will have plenty of school reading to put away each week. Family members might decide to go through the same devotional so that they are able to “share” the experience with the child far away.
A Little Scripture to Stay Grounded A small plaque with a bible verse that sits on an easel or hangs near the door can be a simple reminder that life is more than quarterly exams and GPAs. Lots of students find it fun to decorate their own “away from home” space – but reminders of the faith that has brought them this far can still be a part of that new identity.
A Place for Memories
Most young people post their pictures on social media these days, but it can still be a good idea to tuck a small photo album inside your survival kit. Someday they will want to be able to flip through their college years and walk down memory lane.
Other Christian products worth a spot in the kit include favorite music CDs, a Christian key ring, faith-based jewelry like a cross necklace or a pocket medallion or small journals and plenty of pens. Female students might enjoy a small figurine like a Willow Tree angel – there is even an Angel of Learning which would be right at home nestled on a dorm room windowsill.
If you are preparing to bid a college student farewell, grab some Christian products and put together your own survival kit soon. When you do, check out the products we offer at The Printery House – an online Christian gift store with many items perfect for your collection.
Those in the older generation (and maybe some of the newer) know what a gift drawer is, and how useful it can be. It’s the practice of picking up gift items here and there, as well as cards, and keeping them in one easy-to-find spot for when you need to send someone a quick token of appreciation or mark an occasion.
Gift drawers may be seeing resurgence in popularity lately for a few reasons, such as the convenience of online ordering with quick or free shipping, and new visual mediums showing all the options that are available. The premise, however, is the same no matter how you order the items – being ready for taking advantage of a special gift-giving opportunity. If you’re Christian, you likely have friends, family members, teacher and coworkers who share your faith. Your well-stocked gift drawer with great Christian products can add meaning (while still being convenient) as you surprise these special people with the occasional gift.
Here are some ideas for the top five Christian products you may want to keep in your own gift drawer:
1. Simple but meaningful wall plaques. Wall art is a major trend right now, thanks to sites like Pinterest for keeping viewers supplied with thousands of ideas. Pick up a few bold and inspiring Christian wall art pieces from a source like The Printery House, and you’ll be ready for any occasion. They work very well for weddings, encouragement, thank yous or “just because.”
2. Candles are always a great choice. Keep a selection of candles handy in your gift drawer. Some come with customized candle holders and they’re always an appropriate gift year-round. Throw in a few gift bags and some tissue paper, and you’re ready when an opportunity arises.
3. Coffee, anyone? Most people still enjoy a good cup of joe, or hot chocolate, or tea…so keeping a few inspiring mugs in your gift drawer means you’re able to share your thoughts easily. Put a small gift card inside to a favorite coffee house and it’s done. You could even throw in a favorite verse or two on a notecard inside the mug.
4. A hand-held cross is always appreciated. A hand-held cross, such as the popular wooden Comfort Cross, is always a great gift – and especially for someone going through a difficult time. These crosses are used during prayer, meditation, walking and almost anywhere because they fit in a pocket or a purse.
5. Can a great card also be a great gift? The answer is yes. A selection of tasteful religious greeting cards gives you a chance to write a powerful message or a simple “thinking of you” at a moment’s notice. Many people may eventually share a gift or shelve it, but a special note inside a card will be treasured for years. If you choose a card that also has a special story behind it, such as those made by the monks and artists at The Printery House, the card is even more unique.
Stock up your gift drawer this week with a diverse collection of Christian products in an online order from The Printery House. And then just wait … the opportunity to brighten someone’s world will likely be more evident than ever! (And you’ll be ready.)
With the upswing in popular books by authors like Max Lucado and movies by Christian producer Kirk Cameron including “Fireproof,” there’s a similar new interest in Christian products and gifts for men. While it used to be that selections were limited in Christian stores and online, it’s not true now – you can find everything from great devotionals to coffee mugs and even hand-made shaving kits for the Christian men in your life.
Many men will find the selection today refreshing and an easy way to share their faith at the office, in organizations they belong to and in their own homes.
Here are some great Christian products for the men on your list. Keep these in mind for events like Father’s Day, birthdays, graduations and “just because.”
1. Men like sturdy coffee mugs. Look for one with a little whimsy like “God Bless this Irish Man,” from The Printery House. Fill it up with favorite candies or coffee beans when you give it.
2. Handcrafted soap: Say see you later to flowery girl scents; try this collection of soaps that are made by the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration. The selection is unique and masculine and each soap is sent with a prayer and a few drops of holy water. Scents range from earthy to musky and are perfect for any man on your list. Try the popular Mayan Gold scent!
3. A Celtic cross is great year-round to say to a husband, brother or father that you appreciate his faith. Designs can be very masculine today, including slate black with a Celtic knot.
4. The Olive Wood Comfort Cross is a great item to hold onto in times of thoughtful prayer or meditation, or even times of worry. Holding a small cross in your hand as you walk, think, meditate or pray can be very calming and inspiring – and this one, along with others like it, remain popular for both genders.
5. A handwritten religious card can make a lasting impact on any man. While some men are said to struggle with speaking their feelings, anyone would enjoy receiving a note of admiration. It’s something they can keep for years to come, and it’s even better if it’s a unique, hand-created design like those offered here at The Printery House, a apostolic work of the monks and artists of Conception Abbey, MO.
These are just a few ideas for men when it comes to Christian products. It’s easier and more meaningful than ever to share a message of faith (or celebrate a message of faith) with the men in your life. Try it today! (Start here at The Printery House for amazing hand-designed cards and a full gift