The pastor or priest serves wholeheartedly, often without notice from those who surround them. It is important to encourage those who serve in these roles and we’re offering a few suggestions for expressing ministry appreciation.
Hebrews 13:17 says “Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.”
We learn from this verse that it really isn’t enough just to follow church leadership with a grudging spirit. We are to be those who make leadership a joy! October is officially ministry appreciation month so it is a good time to make a few personal changes so that spiritual service is a joy for all 12 months of the year.
1. Voice your gratitude. Leaders carry a responsibility before God for you. That is a serious undertaking. Find something in their leadership you can praise starting with their willingness to take on that kind of responsibility.
2. Give them the gift of prayer. Every priest or pastor needs the prayers of his flock. Make a new habit of praying for the leaders in your church. Then, send them a ministry appreciation card and let them know you pray for them. You could even write a personal prayer inside the card.
3. Ask them to put you to work in the church. It would be good practice for every church member to present themselves to the leadership and ask how they can help serve the needs of the church. Ministers will enjoy leading people who express a willingness to be led and to serve.
4. The easiest way to show ministry appreciation is to give your leaders your full attention. Listen to the words they share with the congregation and with you personally. Cell phones and other distractions can be put away during church gatherings so that you can focus on the person attempting to lead you.
5. Demonstrate kindness and care for his family. If you send the pastor’s wife a birthday card or include his children in social invitations you will help make ministry a joy. Married ministers and church leaders make untold sacrifices in terms of family time. Your loving attention to their family will be a tangible means of seeing God’s provision in honor of those sacrifices.
There are, of course, many other ways you can make leadership pleasant. Ask God to guide you, but most of all, do something. If you are looking for cards appropriate for ministry appreciation, check out the wide selection of Christian greeting cards to be found at The Printery House. We offer a wide selection of cards to encourage your leaders.